Mental Health & Wellbeing
At Preston Candover CE Primary School, we are committed to supporting and nurturing the emotional health and wellbeing of our pupils and staff. We know that everyone experiences life challenges and at times, may need additional emotional support. Our core value of ‘Love’, ‘Hope’ and ‘Justice' is at the centre of our school and we believe that positive mental health is everyone’s responsibility. We all have a role to play.
By teaching our pupils how to look after their physical and mental health, and teaching them how to communicate their thoughts and feelings, we help them to become more confident and comfortable with their place in the world.
At our school we:
- Support pupils to understand their emotions and feelings better
- Provide a nurturing environment that ensures pupils feel happy, safe and comfortable
- Ensure pupils feel comfortable to share any concerns or worries
- Help pupils socially to form and maintain relationships
- Develop self-esteem to ensure pupils feel valued
- Develop emotional resilience so pupils can manage setbacks
- Encourage individuality while showing respect and consideration for others
We offer different levels of support:
Universal Support – For all pupils we provide support through spiritual, moral, social and cultural awareness, living our values of love, hope and justice and through the wider curriculum
Additional Support – For pupils who need short term emotional support, possibly if they have been affected by life changes or challenges
Targeted Support – For pupils who need more specific support and targeted interventions, possibly if they have experienced a trauma.